Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Every man is equal

The quote 'all men were created equal' is directly lifted from some American constitution thing (and then said again by MLK in his 'I have a dream' speech), and most people believe it to be true. However, I think that this notion is not so true.

Firstly, consider the fact that every person is unique in their own way. How is it that if everyone is different to one another that we can all be equal. Surely, someone who is brilliant at everything is not equal to someone who sucks at everything and a murderer is not equal to Jesus. (can't be bothered to expand point). Another way of looking at the problem however is in terms of value. Consider in my wallet I have 2 x 10p coins. One of the coins is shiny and new while other one is dirty old and worse in every way you could possibly think about yet still both coins are worth the same amount of money.

It would appear that our problem is solved, however, this opens up a new problem. Although we try and fool ourselves into believing that everyone is equal, in society we already acknowledge that everyone is not equal. Consider situations such as receiving medical help, children are normally tended to first. Alternatively on the titanic where women and children got to go on the life boats first (okay that was a shit example but i can't think of anything at the moment and I'm quite tired).

What actually inspired me to write about this? I have no idea (just answered my own question) (that was also a lie) Recently I have been revising for an exam and it has lots logic questions in it for example:

Jimmy is a human. Johnny is also a human. Both Jimmy and Johnny are awesome.

Which of the following statements aren't true from the information given above choose all that apply:

Humans are all awesome
Humans can be awesome
Jimmy = Johnny
Every Man is equal

Ok this isn't the actual question but sometimes when you are studying and you get really bored you start thinking up random stuff and this is it. Also I realise that I may have 'stolen' the idea that all people aren't equal from George Orwell's quote from animal farm, and all the animals were equal but some more equal than others (or summit like that). Anyway, I actually worked quite hard on this post but I couldn't be bothered to spell check it so just hope its all grammatically correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment